Note: The most recent postings of The Gourd
can be found at The Gourd Reborn.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Stupid Beans

So a couple of weeks ago I bought this nice bag of mixed beans that had a recipe on the back for 15-bean soup. I finally decided this week that it was time to make them, so I went to Foodland the other day and picked up the ingredients I need. Diligently following the instructions on the bag, I poured the beans into a large container, sifted for rocks, and then filled the container with water. The beans came up about 2 inches or so, about a third of the total height of the container. I then left the beans to soak overnight. Perhaps it belies my ignorance that when I awoke the next morning, I was surprised to see that the beans had expanded and now filled the entire container. This got me to thinking, "Is my pot big enough to make this soup?" I inspected the bag more closely.

Yield: approximately 3 qts.

How much is a quart?

Serves 14-16.

o_O

14-16!?

At this point I ran into the kitchen and found the pot I was planning to cook these beans in, as well as my measuring cup. I then ran back to the computer to look up on Google how many cups are in a quart. (It's four, BTW.) Back in the kitchen, I took my measuring cup and filled it with water 12 times, watching in horror as the water level in my little pot rose higher. At the end of the 12th cup, the water was (according to precise scientific calculations), a really itsy-bitsy-teensy bit below the rim.

So there I was, with a container of wet beans that I wasn't sure what to do with. I guess you learn something new everyday. To make a long story short, Ms. Grady's family has graciously agreed to allow me to bring my beans and other ingredients to their house this weekend and make my soup there.

I can't wait to have a fully stocked kitchen of my own. But at least this way I won't be eating bean soup for three weeks! :)

Peace.

PS - Please pray for Placke and her family.

2 Comments:

At 7/29/2005 5:40 AM, Blogger psykadelicbutterfly said...

ah, my sweet little gourdman. how naive we are of...beans.

at least you tried, though. i'm sure it'll be awesome bean soup.

 
At 7/29/2005 11:16 AM, Blogger CheeseShaman said...

You honestly didn't know how many cups are in a quart.

Wow.

Ha ha, that's hilarious. Well, good luck. See ya in a couple of weeks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home