Note: The most recent postings of The Gourd
can be found at The Gourd Reborn.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Occupation!

I read the second chapter of MotL last night. It was a great chapter, as Atretes was a pretty awesome warrior. And still no mushy stuff! YES!

This morning I lolled around, reading and looking at a present idea for the CS. Then I went to a lunch meeting where they gave us some (really good!) free food and a guy talked about nano-technology as it's being developed to (hopefully) one day treat cancer. A very interesting talk! Then I went and got a key to my group's graduate student office. That made for an adventure, since I had an idea where the room was, but I wasn't sure. I tried several doors, and there was one where the key actually worked, but the door wouldn't open. I came back to it a few times, and finally I realized what I was doing wrong. I turned the key and this time PUSHED on the door, and got in. There wasn't anyone there, but at least I know where to go now. So I went back to my room and waited around for the e-mail that would tell me where to go and get the software I should be training on. After a while I got tired enough of waiting to even overcome latent social anxieties, and decided to go to the building myself and ask around. After getting shuffled around between four offices, I finally met the man who simply reached on his shelf and handed it to me. DOH! I've got it installed and tried a few tutorials. It really is nice software.

The crowds in my head rejoice! I have gained something to Do, a means of Accomplishment, a Span across the chasm of Restlessness!

After dinner (left over manwich and a can of collard greens), I went to church. It was great to see everybody and visit a little. And Dr. Brown's doing a great class on church history. Tonight was a discussion of Gnosticism and some of the "alternative" gospels. Really interesting. It goes along nicely with a book I'm reading called Early Christians Speak. After church I joined some of the members at Baja Burrito, and we had a good time, but I couldn't stay long, because I had an appointment with the...

NASHVILLE GO CLUB

Woot! That was very enjoyable. The chess center is a really nice place. I played a guy they called "Crazy" Tony. He beat me pretty good, but I haven't played in a while, and the second half of the game went much better than the first. GSM and I also met a guy name Aaron who had come to the club straight from Woodmont Hills. What a small world this is... Anyways, he turns out to be a big anime fan, so I wouldn't be surprised if we all end up hanging out at some point.

I guess I've rambled enough. I miss everybody everywhere, especially You-Know-Who (no schmoopie jokes, please!), but I'm starting to get a little settled in and feeling more comfortable with my surroundings.

Good night, my loyal readers! I hope you are all faring well.

2 Comments:

At 6/02/2005 8:16 PM, Blogger CheeseShaman said...

I never understood the "schmoopie" fad you youngsters take part in. When you get as mature as I am you learn to take pride in discipline! None of this scurrying about trying to occupy oneself with something to do. Quiet contemplation is best!

Right. Anyways.

All goes wel on the work front. I start on Monday.
I have a birthday! ^_^ hee hee

 
At 6/03/2005 8:44 AM, Blogger psykadelicbutterfly said...

yes, amen. hehe. i'm such a sucker for musclebound, temperamental Germanic warriors...anyways.

schmoopie joke!
why did the physics student cross the road? To get to his schmoopie, who was on the other side! HA! HAHAHAHAHHAHA!

eh...heh. *ahem*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home